Planning a charter holiday? Did you know that all Australian charter companies require demonstration of your competence with either a recognised training certificate or practical demonstration of your boat handling skills?
If you want to brush up in advance, then this course is a must. We’ll show you the skills needed to make your holiday both more enjoyable and safer. And cut down on the briefing time needed when you pick up the boat – meaning more time afloat!
2 days (9am-5pm each day)
Previous experience required
- The yacht: basic knowledge of sea terms, parts of a yacht, her rigging and sails
- Preparation for sea: safety briefing, pre trip checks
- Helmsmanship and sailing: steering and setting sails on all points of sail
- Sail handling: reefing and changing sails
- Introduction to basic navigation and tides, electronic navigation
- Ropework: handling ropes and warps, tying knots
- Personal safety equipment:: wearing of safety harnesses and lifejackets
- Man overboard: actions to recover man overboard
- Emergency equipment and precautions: hazards on board, radio operation, distress flares, buoyancy aids
- Rules of the road: keeping an efficient lookout
- Engine operation and maintenance
- Dinghy: handling under oars, loading rules