Learn the basics of sailing larger yachts and have fun at the same time – it’s sure to be an appetizer for more! Receive a RYA Start Yachting certificate on successful completion.
Holders of the RYA Start Yachting certificate can progress to the RYA Competent Crew certificate by completing Basic crewing (2 day Intermediate course) , together with the Passage making (2 day live aboard bridging course). .
Start Yachting: 4 Twilight Sessions (5.30pm-8.30pm each day)
Basic Crewing: 2 Days ( 9.30am-3.30pm)
Passage Making: 2 Day Live-aboard
Previous experience required
Course content: Start Yachting (Beginner)
By the end of the course you will have experienced steering a yacht, sail handling, ropework and be aware of safety on board.
- The yacht: basic knowledge of sea terms, parts of a yacht, her rigging and sails.
- Yacht underway: experience sailing on all points of sailing.
- Sail handling, use of halyards, sheets and winches
- Rules of the road: keeping an efficient lookout
- Clothes and equipment: wearing of safety harnesses and lifejackets
- Emergency equipment and precautions: hazards on board, actions to take in event of an emergency
- Ropework: tie key knots, secure a rope to a cleat, how to use winches and jamming cleats
Course content: Basic Crewing (Intermediate)
- Basic boat handling under power, use of dock lines
- Sail handling, raising and changing sails, reefing, sail shape control
- Helming under sail, balance, and sail trim.
- Safety equipment and radio operation
- Basic navigation, compass, variation and deviation
- GPS and electronic navigation
Course content: Passage Making (Bridging course to Competent crew)
- Basic passage planning and pilotage
- Understanding and interpreting weather forecasts
- Dinghy safety and handling
- Manners and customs
- Sailing after dark
- Sailing in tidal flow