What do I need to bring?
One Day or multiple day non liveaboard Courses
Yacht Training Victoria provides a suitably equipped vessel and all tuition costs, we also provide morning / afternoon tea & snacks.
You need to bring:
- A well fitting cap or hat (that won’t blow off in the wind!)
- Sunglasses, Sunscreen and face-mask.
- Packed Lunch, drink bottle & mug
- Wear clothes appropriate to the season
- Shirts should have a collar to keep the sun off the back of your neck
- A change of clothes in case you get wet
- Wet-weather or spray jacket
- Outside of high summer, a warm sweater and some long pants (it can get cold out on the water)
- Wear white-soled shoes such as deck shoes or trainers but no hard black soles please, as they mark the deck. Thongs or sandals are not appropriate footwear on a sailing boat!
- Please pack your belongings in a soft bag and keep it to a minimum
Weekend/ Long Weekend or 5 Day courses
All on board meals are provided, however we may eat one evening meal ashore, (particularly on the 5 day courses) so you will need some money for this (it won’t be expensive!)
Everyone will be involved in meal preparation and clean up.
Those that wish to bring alcohol may do so. However our standing orders are that no alcohol is consumed until the completion of the sailing day. Note that we will keep you busy into the evening on some days!
You need to bring:
- A change of clothes for each day, as there is no washing machine on board!
- On 5-day courses we will pull into marinas or yacht clubs most nights during the course. At other times, while we have showers on board, please remember water on board is limited
- A good hat that won’t blow off in the wind (and maybe a spare)
- Sunglasses, sunscreen and insect repellent.
- Pack at least one warm item of clothing as even in summer it can get chilly at night. Bring clothes appropriate to the season
- Don’t forget your swimming togs and towel
- Warm socks and beanie for winter night sailing…it gets cool !!
- Don’t forget any medications you require to take
- Please bring your sleeping bag and pillow
- You will need your wet-weather gear (jacket and pants)
- PFD’s (inflatable lifejackets) are provided, however if you have your own (with harness attachment) bring it along.
- White–soled trainers or deck-shoes no hard black soles please, as they mark the deck
- A spare pair of shoes is a good idea in case your others get wet
- Pack all belongings in a soft bag (there is no room on a yacht to stow a suitcase!)
- If you have a favorite hand-bearing compass please bring it along
- If you already have a log book please bring it along otherwise you will receive one at the end of the course
Where is the yacht located?
Most practical courses depart from the Royal Yacht Club of Victoria marina, located at 120 Nelson Place, Williamstown, Melbourne. (We will advise if an alternative joining location is proposed.)
The skipper will meet you at the Club’s entrance and show you to the yacht.
Trains, planes and automobiles: How do I get there?
Why not relax and catch the train? Williamstown train station is a 5 minute walk from RYCV. The trip takes about 25 mins from Flinders Street or Southern Cross Station (you may need to change trains at Newport on non direct services). It’s a very stress-free way to begin a sailing trip!
What time do the courses start?
The instructor will leave the RYCV carpark together with participants at 9am. Please aim to arrive at least 15 minutes early. We cannot wait for participants that are late.
Meet at 0900 hours and return at approx 1600 hours
Weekends begin at 0900 hours Saturday morning and return at approx 1600 hours on Sunday
5 Day Courses
Meeting time for these courses is 0930 on the morning of 1st day. The yachts return at approx 1600 on the last afternoon