Planning a charter holiday? Did you know that all Australian charter companies require demonstration of your competence with either a recognised training certificate or practical demonstration of your boat handling skills?
If you already hold an RYA certificate of “Competent Crew” or above, but feel you want to brush up in advance, then this course is for you.
We’ll show you the skills needed to make your holiday both more enjoyable and safer. And cut down on the briefing time needed when you pick up the boat – meaning more time afloat!
2 days (9am-5pm each day)
Previous experience required
- Preparation for sea: safety briefing, pre trip checks
- Brush up helmsmanship and sailing skills
- Sail handling: reefing and changing sails
- Introduction to basic navigation and tides, electronic navigation
- Personal safety equipment:: wearing of safety harnesses and lifejackets
- Man overboard: actions to recover man overboard
- Emergency equipment and precautions: hazards on board, radio operation, distress flares, buoyancy aids
- Rules of the road: keeping an efficient lookout
- Engine operation and maintenance
- Dinghy: handling under oars, loading rules